Commit 53f13f0.

I’ve been working on two big things.

First, my buddy Vic helped me with the math to make my procedural animation 1000x better. I was close before but things just weren’t right. My code was a spaghetti mess and the maths were what can only be described as wonky. Now it’s much smoother and looks really nice (my opinion) although this low-framerate gif doesn’t do it a ton of justice (hosted on imgur b/c my cheapo server pukes trying to thumbnail big gifs):

BattleCrypt Animation Interpolation

 

Second, I have been working on various UI things. From a game-design standpoint I’ve been trying to decide if characters are highly defined, meaning that character “Bob” would always look the same, have the same taunt phrases, the same elemental power, etc. Or, if characters should be kinda customizable. Like maybe you pick the heady, body and legs separately.

I started with characters being immutable. Then I entertained the idea of allowing mix-and-match because I think that would really appeal to some players. Now I’m leaning back towards immutable characters because I can create stronger personalities and recognizable styles.

Anyway, here’s some work I did while puzzling out what the customizable character UI might look like. The image at the top of the post has arrows that let you select each customizable part separately. Another take on that would be to have buttons that toggle through each body part. Whatever direction I take, the UI style will probably look something like these.

BC_Concept_016

 

BC_Concept_014

 

Categories: BattleCryptGameDev

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

GameDev

v0.2.0 Mission Implementation

This weekend was an important one for game progress. Since the last release I’ve been working hard on this idea of a “missions” system that will give players more to do, and more purpose, in Read more…

GameDev

v0.2.0 Progress Update

Wow I’m behind on updates! I haven’t posted a dev blog for awhile but I have been working super hard on v0.2.0. First, a quick bit on my versioning system. I use a the typical Read more…

GameDev

Texture Packing Bitmap Fonts

A lot of my work I’m doing on Masteroid right now is not sexy. I’ve worked a bunch on tools over the last week and, as I wrap that up, my attention is turning to Read more…